Senior Software Engineer, Tech Lead - Science Tools
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2023
We are currently seeking a Senior Software Engineer, Technical Lead to join our Science Tools team. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will lead the technical direction of the Science Tools suite of tools to enable in-house scientists to curate life-science data products and incorporate them into multiple data pipelines. To do this you will work with our scientists to evolve our data models, and build production-grade tooling and data pipelines. You will directly impact the users of the BenchSci platform by expanding and improving the quality of the data that helps to shorten the path of their research.
You will get to lead specific projects that directly contribute to our client's understanding of drug discovery research. This is a fit for you if you excel at pulling meaningful insights from data, love making an impact, and want to share your technical creativity and expertise with the folks around you. The Technical Lead role is a unique expansion of the scope of a Senior Software Engineer that takes on multiple facets of technical leadership, team building, and defining our technical roadmap.
BenchSci is a remote-first organization. At this moment, we are welcoming applicants from the Eastern Time zone of Canada, and the US for this position.
- Lead the engineering team responsible for building full-stack web applications and data pipelines for our internal scientists
- Delve deep into the user experience side to envision the next generation architecture of the tool suite
- Work closely with scientists, other data leads, and researchers to solve complex problems around life-science data processing
- Participate in our collaborative design process where technical solutions are discussed, strengthened, and supported by input from a wider team of engineers
- Directly lead the team in discovery, planning, design, estimation and rollout
- Foster and grow a healthy engineering culture on the team, attending to technical processes as well as opportunities to increase connection.
- Use your experience to help define and apply best practices for a broad platform of technologies in a cloud-based environment
- Partner with the Engineering Manager and other Tech Leads to recruit and build the team
- 5+ years of experience working as a professional developer in cloud and data.
- Expertise with Python and SQL
- Experience with full-stack development (we currently use Django, React, and Postgres)
- Experience with data processing engines (we use Beam and Big Query)
- Experience with cloud (we use GCP) including reference architectures and developing specialized stacks on cloud services
- A strong background in data structures and data manipulation
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- Experience leading teams and software delivery in an agile environment
Benefits and Perks:
An engaging remote-first culture
A great compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
15 days vacation plus an additional day every year; plus company closures for 15 more days throughout the year
Unlimited flex time for sick days, personal days, religious holidays
Comprehensive health and dental benefits Emphasis on mental health with $2500 CAD* for Psychologist, Social Worker, or Psychotherapist services
A $2000 CAD* Annual Learning & Development budget
A $1000 CAD* home office set-up budget
A $2500 CAD*wellness, lifestyle and productivity spending account for employees
Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
*Benefits are tied to Canadian dollar amounts and would be converted to local currency for those in other countries. Moving to local currency allotments in the future.
BenchSci's mission is to exponentially increase the speed and quality of life-saving research and development. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by Generation Investment Management, TCV, Inovia, F-Prime, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
BenchSci relentlessly builds on its strong foundation of culture. We put team members first, knowing that they're the organization's beating heart. We invest as much in our people as our products. Our culture fosters transparency, collaboration, and continuous learning.
We value each other's differences and always look for opportunities to embed equity into the fabric of our work. We foster diversity, autonomy, and personal growth, and provide resources to support motivated self-leaders in continuous improvement.
You will work with high-impact, highly skilled, and intelligent experts motivated to drive impact and fulfill a meaningful mission. We empower you to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and thrive. Here you will be challenged to stretch yourself to achieve the seemingly impossible. Learn more about our culture.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We're committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. Learn more about our DEI initiatives.
See more open positions at BenchSci
Something looks off?