CAMH Foundation | Director, Direct & Digital Fundraising
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2023
Bloom is a full-service workplace design consultancy representing CAMH Foundation on their search for a Director, Direct & Digital Fundraising to join their team. As Talent Advisors, we will be the liaison between CAMH Foundation and yourself during this recruitment process. We do not use fancy tech to search through resumes at Bloom; every resume is reviewed by a human to ensure that we attain a consistent and equitable interview process. You will directly join the team at CAMHF if you are selected as the successful candidate. We look forward to receiving your application!
Hi! I’m Sarah Chamberlin, the CMO and VP, Community Giving and Engagement at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) Foundation. I joined the Foundation in 2019 to be able to contribute to inspiring philanthropy that enables leading-edge care, research and education at CAMH. I’m personally very connected to our cause and inspired by the work of my colleagues throughout the Hospital and Foundation. We have much to do to transform the way we understand and treat mental illness through advancing discovery and innovation, building spaces that promote recovery and breaking down the stigma of mental illness. Philanthropy and fundraising are key contributors to ensuring this important work happens.
My team is responsible for ensuring our unrestricted revenue stream of funds grows over time - we have clear goals and an open mind on how to achieve them. My leadership team, and I, are looking for a strategic partner and exceptional collaborator. We need someone who loves data and knows how to utilize insights in order to recommend how we improve our direct and digital marketing approach. As the Director of Direct and Digital Fundraising, you will report to myself and work closely with a small and hardworking team of experts. I’ll be looking to you to motivate and mobilize them, alongside our agency partners. It’s an exciting place to be and we’re very optimistic about the future and about adding someone to our team who is equally enthusiastic and will live our mission, vision and values.
The Director, Direct & Digital Fundraising will be responsible for the strategy, execution and refinement of all direct-response fundraising campaigns and channels. With a priority placed on advancing our digital fundraising strategies, you will also lead and oversee the Foundation’s digital properties and channels. We work in a highly collaborative environment, where our Fundraising leaders across the organization rely upon our digital channels to steward donors through their journey.
You will facilitate this by having a broad view of our organization’s strategy and by implementing tactics that support organizational objectives. The role requires collaboration with internal stakeholders and vendor partners, who will often be implementing fundraising tactics. This position will lead the development of optimal strategies and tactics designed to increase unrestricted revenue, grow the donor base, increase donor participation, and strengthen the pipeline of donors across communities.
CAMH is Canada's largest hospital specializing in mental illness and addictions, and one of the world's leading academic health science centres in the field. By delivering leading-edge treatment, driving research, creating knowledge and advocating nationally, CAMH seeks to inspire a movement for change to ensure any person living with mental illness is restored to fullness of life. CAMH Foundation is charged with raising and stewarding funds that will enable CAMH to achieve its aspirations and helping to fuel the movement for change.
- Managing the continued expansion of the direct marketing program, implementing new program strategies and building upon well-performing products to achieve or exceed unrestricted revenue targets obtained from the mass public.
- Managing agency relationships with partners who support the activation of our annual and monthly donation programs.
- Exploring new opportunities to leverage direct and digital marketing efforts to generate broad community interest (mass public) in the cause of mental health as a mechanism to build our donor base over time.
- Providing leadership to the management and maintenance of the various channels we use to activate our programs.
- Providing strategic oversight and leveraging deep experience to our digital properties to ensure the team is equipt to manage the day-to-day of our website, email, etc…
- Working closely and collaboratively with broader marketing and fundraising teams to ensure channels are utilized with the full donor journey in mind.
- Initiating data-driven strategies to monitor and improve our KPIs with particular attention to maintaining above industry standard for mass donor acquisition.
- Directing mail, email, lead generation and social through the production process including ensuring our brand is properly, consistently and inspirationally reflected within.
- Optimizing mass acquisition program to bring on new donors with a focus on diversifying and expanding the donor base and reactivating lapsed donors. Actively tracking investment levels to ensure an acceptable ROI and file growth year over year.
- Providing strategic direction to the planning, creation, implementation, maintenance and analysis of online donation capabilities, data, and efforts;
- Providing strategic direction to the Peer-to-Peer, Community and Workplace Fundraising, Tribute, annual, monthly programs and any others that provide significant contribution to our unrestricted revenue targets
- Seeking opportunities to advance mass donors through our pipeline, increasing average donor contributions over time.
- Developing and managing expense budgets associated with the programs under the portfolio’s accountability
- Managing a small and experienced team of (6) Direct and Digital Marketing Fundraisers
What You'll Bring To The Team
- You have strong professional fundraising and people leadership experience with a demonstarted track record of outstanding performance.
- You are highly experienced in direct & digital fundraising, with progressive professional experience, CFRE designation is a plus..
- You have hands-on experience with database management, management of direct mail and email programs, online fundraising experience.
- You are innovative with direct marketing and fundraising tactics, expertise with analysing data and insights, ability to lead digital team, including around backend elements
- You have experience with revenue and budget accountability
- You have polished communication abilities including active listening and written communication.
- You have excellent organizational and people skills, including management experience.
- You have strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office software applications and demonstrated knowledge of Raiser's Edge or equivalent.
- You are agile and have a willingness and ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends for annual events and to prepare for larger scale campaigns.
- You have extensive knowledge of Canada's philanthropic laws, charitable giving instruments, tax laws, and related tools to enable transformational giving.
Nice To Have
- You have professional experience with an advocacy organization.
- You have a connection to the cause of mental health and advocacy.
Benefits at CAMH
- Competitive salary and health benefits (including access to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) which begin after the first month.
- 4 weeks paid vacation time.
- Defined benefit pension plan (HOOPP) starts on the first day of employment.
- Flexible Fridays.
- Team events and retreats.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Diverse team and a commitment to inclusion.
How We Hire
Like Bloom, CAMH is committed to a fair and equitable hiring process for all candidates. To ensure that each candidate’s journey is consistent and the selection process is unbiased, the team at CAMH will not be responding to any personal messages regarding this role or other opportunities.
The Interview Process
Deadline to apply: Thursday, June 1st (by 5 PM EST)
Round 1: Phone screen with Jade, Sr. Talent Advisor from Bloom
Round 2: 60-minute Remote Interview with a Cross- functional CAMHF Panel including Sarah Chamberlin (Chief Marketing Officer and VP Community Giving & Engagement), Lisa Plenderleith (Director, Impact Communications), Carrol Osman. Snr Mgr Operations and Insights and Anthony (Director of Business Intelligence), to discuss Behavioural/Vision Alignment.
Round 3: 45-minute Remote Interview with a Cross- functional CAMHF Panel including Sarah, Azza Taha (Director, Corporate Partnerships) & Meghan Kelly (Director, Donor Engagement)
> Conduct References and offer!
Based in Toronto, Canada, working as a hybrid team (2-3 days in office per week).
CAMH is a Tobacco-Free Organization.
CAMH is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and is a teaching hospital and research institute. As a CAMH employee, you will be expected to actively support CAMH’s teaching and research activities, in addition to supporting the clinical work of the hospital.
At CAMH, we strive to be an equitable and inclusive employer. Our commitment to equity is grounded in an institution-wide commitment to achieving a working, teaching, and learning environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.
CAMH actively seeks candidates from First Nations, Métis and Inuit, racialized and LGBTQ2S+ communities, women, and people with disabilities (including people who have experienced mental health and substance use challenges).
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please inform us if you require accommodations during the interview process.
CAMH Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! Please contact Jade Hugh, Sr. Talent Advisor at email@example.com.
See more open positions at Willful
Something looks off?