Distinguished Engineer, Data Science & Machine Learning
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the team:
The Distinguished Engineer Community at Torc is a group of accomplished, subject matter experts. They work together and cross functionally to guide and shape technical direction of Torc, prevent technological silos from forming, and drive the future of freight. These engineers are individual contributors at the highest technical level at Torc.
The data organization works across all areas of Torc, including autonomy developers, simulation engineers, and systems engineering to drive development needs, analyze performance, and ensure the release of a safe and reliable product.
What You'll Do:
The Distinguished Data Scientist will work across our Engineering teams to shepherd our data strategy for the delivery of our Self-Driving Truck. Development of a self-driving truck requires the analysis of large-scale data sets, including petabytes of sensor data collected on our fleet of self-driving trucks operating across the United States. The Distinguished Data Scientist will provide the technical vision for a scalable data strategy to advance the development of our self-driving truck.
- Work with large-scale data sets and processing pipelines that use state-of-the-art technologies and best practices
- Collaborate across all areas of the organization to understand and generate data-driven business requirements
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to engineering teams in the department promoting best practices, and ensuring adherence to coding standards and architectural principles
- Identify trends and patterns to inform business decisions, improve operational efficiency and refine system requirements
- Contribute to various levels of the data processing pipeline to include deep neural net frameworks, data annotation, synthetic data generation, and third-party data integration
- Provide mentorship and guidance to next-level engineers, and below, assisting in their technical growth and fostering a culture of learning and development within the department
- Work collaboratively in Torc’s Principal Community and engineering leaders to mature a technical vision across the engineering division and drive technical direction into engineering departments
- Be a thought leader for the continuous improvement of data practices throughout the organization
- Stay up to date with the latest industry trends, technologies, and best practices for potential integration with existing solutions
- Participate in project planning and collaborate with technical product managers on the priorities and customer expectations of the proposed software solutions
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent in a related field, master's degree preferred
- 10+ years of progressive professional experience in data engineering, cloud-based data technology, data visualization tooling, machine learning and statistical analytics
- 10+ years of experience directing strategy of a technology industry and collaborating with other strategic partners, internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience creating and implementing successful strategic plans at scale
- Highly analytical with ability to research and translate market trends and competitive intelligence to make successful recommendations
- Proven ability to influence leadership executives, board, owners, and other strategic partners
- Naturally inquisitive, visionary thinker and excellent strategic problem solver. Able to dissect complex problems, make appropriate tradeoffs, and develop thoughtful recommendations
- Must possess a passion and the ability to develop and grow colleagues to their highest potential
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to build trust and strong working relationships, effectively create and proofread documents and reports, and communicate to a diverse workforce
- Critical/logical thinking to identify problems and provide solutions to ensure efficiency, safety, and quality
- Ability to ethically handle sensitive and confidential information with impartiality and professionalism
- Requires transportation to locations away from the site. Valid US Driver’s license with a safe driving record required. May travel occasionally to other states. May have the opportunity for international travel requiring the ability to obtain a passport and appropriate documents
- Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant field
- Broad, deep, and current knowledge of autonomous vehicle industry
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.