Principal Engineer - Safety Case
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the Team:
The Safety Assurance Principal Engineer is an experienced safety technical leader responsible for guiding and assessing the safety of Torc’s product development and launch readiness. Engineers in this role provide guidance on state-of-the-art safety standards, best practices, research, methods, and techniques in their safety areas of expertise. They lead the input and assessment of the product and system requirements and the conformance to these requirements. This role will support business partners by providing subject matter expertise to ensure an understanding of safety best practices, standards, and requirements. This specific technical leadership position will lead the development of Torc’s Safety Case for the production vehicle covering the full product lifecycle. As a technical engineering leader, you will work collaboratively with business partners to develop the framework for the Safety Case including the goals and structured plan for each functional area (e.g., platform, sensing, behaviors, planning, quality, maintenance, safety culture).
What you'll do:
- Lead the development of the strategic plan for the Torc Safety Case including alignment with business partners and managing the delivery of the plan.
- Lead the inventory and analysis of standards and best practices related to Safety Cases and determine applicability and conformance strategy for Torc products.
- Lead the technical review and assessment of Engineering, Operations, and Business plans and work products to conform with state-of-the-art standards and best practices.
- Collaborate with the Product and System Integrity teams to derive safety requirements that uphold conformance to safety standards and best practices plans
- Provide technical input to the strategy related to safety standards and processes for assessing or auditing conformance to key industry standards such as Functional Safety (ISO 26262), Safety Of The Intended Functionality (ISO/PAS 21448), and Road Vehicles – Cybersecurity Engineering (ISO 21434).
- Forecasts and communicates present and future risks and opportunities as standards and best practices evolve. • Work with internal business partners such as the Systems Integrity team to establish alignment on safety messaging for external advocacy.
- Support research engagements with state and federal regulators, including state DOTs, NHTSA, and FMCSA and other stakeholders on topics related to safety standards.
- Monitor and where appropriate, actively engage in the development of safety standards and industry best practices by participation in industry technical working groups and committees, including SAE, ISO, UL, and the AVSC.
- Communicates safety standards development activity to internal business partners.
- Accomplish department objectives by mentoring or supervising team members, managing contractors, overseeing work progress, and working collaboratively within the Safety and Regulatory and the larger Torc team
What you’ll need to Succeed:
- Degree(s) in Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Robotics, Electrical Engineering, or a related technical field with relevant experience: Ph.D. with 7+ years of experience; M.S. with 10+ years of experience; or B.S. with 20+ years of experience
- Safety expert with proven technical and thought leadership and demonstrated program/project delivery.
- Extensive knowledge of safety analysis processes such as HAZOP, FMEA, STPA, and FTA.
- Solid understanding of industry standards and best practices related to autonomous technologies.
- Systems-level thinking, with underlying engineering competency of the complex physical and software systems used in autonomy technologies.
- Proficient knowledge in the following disciplines: software engineering, networking, electrical and mechanical systems, system components, and artificial intelligence/machine learning.
- Familiarity with vehicle design and operation, including powertrain controls, vehicle dynamics, and human machine interfaces
- Excel in critical thinking to identify problems and problem-solving and analytical thinking to solve complex safety issues
- Understanding and experience applying safety data and statistical methods to develop criteria and thresholds.
- Experience in software programming languages such as C++ and Python
- Relevant professional training and certifications such as Functional Safety Certification, ASPICE Assessor, and Lean Six Sigma preferred
- Strong preference for demonstrated experience implementing safety standards, best practices, and processes related to autonomous technologies.
- Strong preference for demonstrated experience assessing or auditing conformance to key industry standards such as Functional Safety (ISO 26262), Safety Of The Intended Functionality (ISO/PAS 21448), and Road Vehicles – Cybersecurity Engineering (ISO 21434
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.