Staff Software Engineer - Systems and Safety
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the team:
The Virtual Driver division of engineering develops safety critical software applications to enable autonomous hub-to-hub driving. We develop state of the art algorithms and models to perform tasks such as object and environment recognition, motion estimation, localization, scene modeling, actor prediction, behavioral policy, and trajectory generation.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as a software systems and safety subject matter expert within the division technical community
- Develop system concepts and architectures for safety relevant software
- Evaluate and decide on architectural tradeoffs through the software design process
- Connect software development with systems architecture and requirements
- Decompose systems architecture and technical safety requirements into software requirements
- Maintain up to date knowledge of the technologies and approaches used to build autonomous solutions
- Mentor other team members, growing the overall autonomy and systems engineering expertise of the team
What you’ll need to succeed:
- History of working across large teams and engineering organizations in a technical capacity is preferred
- Experience working in C++ and Python
- Working knowledge of software verification and validation
- Experience in writing safety certified code
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.