Staff SOTIF Engineer
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the Team:
Torc is seeking people who are passionate about making a difference in the world. We are growing, and we’re assembling teams of creative, ambitious people who have the tenacity to make the impossible possible. Join us as we make our roads, workplaces, and missions safer for everyone.
Our culture is one of openness and transparency and our work reflects that. Torc’rs are encouraged to bring forward new ideas and initiatives, and no matter what job you are working on, you’ll be able to directly observe how your contribution comes to life in the solutions we create together.
As the Safety and Cybersecurity Team, we contribute to a key area of Torcs products. We ensure that the product is designed considering the state of the art in safety and cybersecurity for road vehicles building on standards like ISO26262, ISO21448 and ISO21434.
What You'll Do:
- Work closely with the functional safety engineers and system engineers to ensure ISO 21448 (SOTIF) standard is implemented
- Collaborate locally and globally to evaluate SOTIF deliverables and lead Torc engineers to meet an acceptable SOTIF level
- Define areas for improvement within the designs and work with design teams to SOTIF targets.
- Evaluate completeness of the design specification to ensure sufficient maturity for SOTIF efforts
- Lead and execute SOTIF analysis and drive the implementation of SOTIF measures
- Perform logical and quantified reasoning on SOTIF related tasks and support the continuous improvement of the release case
- Ensure Torc uses industry best practices and stays up to date with research in the domain of safety, esp. SOTIF
- Develop verification and validation strategy and targets per ISO 21448
- Support verification of known and validation for unknown scenarios
- Drive SOTIF related decision making within the organization and management
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- Deep knowledge of automotive, heavy-duty truck, or aerospace industry products
- Demonstrated proficiency in the application of ISO 21448 (SOTIF), ISO 26262 (functional safety)
- Must be well-organized, able to handle multiple, detailed tasks, and work professionally with various levels of management
- Brilliant project management and leadership skills
- Developed time management and organizational skills to plan, develop, coordinate resources, prioritize effectively, and maintain programs and initiatives simultaneously and in a fast-paced environment
- Interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills
- Detail oriented, reliable, and self-motivated
- Ability to work in an environment of ambiguity and ongoing change
- Ability to thrive in a face-paced environment with quickly changing business needs
- Ability to ethically handle sensitive and confidential information with impartiality and professionalism.
- Willingness to proactively handle tasks
- Curiosity and willingness to continuously learn and stay on the edge of technology
- Structured way of working
- Ability to have fun at work
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.