Engineering Manager, Machine Learning - Natural Language Processing (Remote)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, May 4, 2023
We are looking for an Engineering Manager, Natural Language Processing to join our growing Machine Learning team and will report to the Director of Engineering, Machine Learning. You will lead a team that works on challenging problems to have an impact on the 41,000+ scientists across the world who rely on BenchSci for their research. As an Engineering Manager, NLP and Deep Learning, you will manage planning and prioritization of upcoming work, coordinate multiple engineering teams, and coach team members. You will work closely with tech leads and scientists to evaluate priorities, spot potential problems before they occur, and support the team's technical roadmap with planned engineering investments. Our ideal candidate is flexible, supportive and knows when to step in and work hands-on with their team and when to lean out and direct.
- Execution: Own and drive execution of product and technical roadmaps. You will maintain and oversee the quality and output for everything your team provides
- Management: Take a leadership role in our hiring and onboarding processes. You will mentor your team, guide their growth, and manage performance with fair, inclusive, and equitable practices
- Technical: Work with technical leads and engineers to provide guidance on technical solutions, backup plans, trade-offs, and design. You will ensure your experienced team provides quality, ensuring they feel a culture of risk-taking, and can experiment to find the best solutions. You will work hands on when needed to support your team's delivery goals.
- Processes: Work with Science, Web Apps, and Data Teams to define and improve processes across the company with growth in mind
- 4+ years working as a professional developer
- 2+ years working as an engineering team manager
- Experience hiring and building motivated engineering teams
- Strong experience with Python and programming fundamentals
- Extensive experience working with NLP (including NER) and PyTorch
- Experience with data engineering and machine learning design patterns and best practices
- Experience shipping machine learning into distributed, data-intensive production systems
- Strong experience collaborating cross-functionally
- Worked on projects that have gone from proof-of-concept through multiple maintenance stages
Benefits and Perks:
An engaging remote-first culture
A great compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
15 days vacation plus an additional day every year; plus company closures for 15 more days throughout the year
Unlimited flex time for sick days, personal days, religious holidays
Comprehensive health and dental benefits Emphasis on mental health with $2500 CAD* for Psychologist, Social Worker, or Psychotherapist services
A $2000 CAD* Annual Learning & Development budget
A $1000 CAD* home office set-up budget
A $2500 CAD*wellness, lifestyle and productivity spending account for employees
Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
*Benefits are tied to Canadian dollar amounts and would be converted to local currency for those in other countries. Moving to local currency allotments in the future.
BenchSci's mission is to exponentially increase the speed and quality of life-saving research and development. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by Generation Investment Management, TCV, Inovia, F-Prime, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
BenchSci relentlessly builds on its strong foundation of culture. We put team members first, knowing that they're the organization's beating heart. We invest as much in our people as our products. Our culture fosters transparency, collaboration, and continuous learning.
We value each other's differences and always look for opportunities to embed equity into the fabric of our work. We foster diversity, autonomy, and personal growth, and provide resources to support motivated self-leaders in continuous improvement.
You will work with high-impact, highly skilled, and intelligent experts motivated to drive impact and fulfill a meaningful mission. We empower you to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and thrive. Here you will be challenged to stretch yourself to achieve the seemingly impossible. Learn more about our culture.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We're committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. Learn more about our DEI initiatives.