Director of Engineering - ML & Data (Remote)
Software Engineering, Data Science
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
BenchSci's vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to join our Platform team. Reporting to the SVP of Technology, you will oversee and lead data processing efforts and apply your machine learning and data engineering expertise to build a solid semantic data foundation at scale. Additionally, you will leverage the latest technology and architecture patterns to enable scalable and cost-effective operations and delivery.
- Lead multiple engineering teams (total of 20+ engineers) to ensure timely and successful project delivery
- Establish and implement best practices for large data processing and ML/LLM operations
- Leverage machine learning techniques to develop data-driven GenAI solutions to help accelerate pre-clinical R&D
- Monitor the latest tech trends with GenAI, data architecture, and cloud computing
- Lead the team to assess and adopt the most viable tech to analyze images and process natural language text data across thousands of academic papers
- Build and scale data and ML pipelines using best engineering practices to process millions of research papers, ontological sources, and customers’ internal data
- Build and deliver a strong semantic data foundation capturing structured scientific knowledge, with quality and at a speed
- Implement scalable CI/CD for data and ML pipelines and monitor and tune performance in production
- Strong foundation in core software engineering principles and SDLC methodologies
- Experience with data engineering and modern data architecture, including big data technologies such as ETL and data analytics or search (e.g. Elasticsearch) solutions
- Experience with knowledge engineering and delivering large-volume data products for business needs
- A solid grasp of data governance, data operations, quality assurance, and data engineering best practices
- Familiarity with event-driven architecture and incremental data processing
- Knowledge of workflow orchestration and data/ML operations tooling such as Airflow, DataFlow, Vertex.ai, etc.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL tech stacks and top massive parallel processing solutions such as Databricks, Snowflake, and BigQuery
- Understanding CI/CD methodologies to ensure data and ML pipelines are running well with an emphasis on stability and observability to ensure scalable data pipelines
Benefits and Perks:
An engaging remote-first culture
A great compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
A robust vacation policy plus an additional vacation day every year
Company closures for 14 more days throughout the year
Flex time for sick days, personal days, and religious holidays
Comprehensive health and dental benefits.
Annual learning & development budget
A one-time home office set-up budget to use upon joining BenchSci
An annual lifestyle spending account allowance
Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
The ability to save for your retirement coupled with a company match!
BenchSci's mission is to exponentially increase the speed and quality of life-saving research and development. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world's most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by Generation Investment Management, TCV, Inovia, F-Prime, Golden Ventures, and Google's AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We're a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
BenchSci relentlessly builds on its strong foundation of culture. We put team members first, knowing that they're the organization's beating heart. We invest as much in our people as our products. Our culture fosters transparency, collaboration, and continuous learning.
We value each other's differences and always look for opportunities to embed equity into the fabric of our work. We foster diversity, autonomy, and personal growth, and provide resources to support motivated self-leaders in continuous improvement.
You will work with high-impact, highly skilled, and intelligent experts motivated to drive impact and fulfill a meaningful mission. We empower you to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and thrive. Here you will be challenged to stretch yourself to achieve the seemingly impossible. Learn more about our culture.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We're committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. Learn more about our DEI initiatives.
Accessibility Accommodations: Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.