Director, Accounting Operations
Driven by the mission to democratize education, Paper is the largest provider of educational support, supporting millions of students through partnerships with thousands of school districts. Paper helps deliver true educational equity through their category leading Educational Support System (ESS) that offers virtual access to 24/7 tutors and essay reviewers. Founded in 2014, Paper philosophically believes that all students should be given the tools and resources to reach their academic potential, independent of socio-economic status, geography, language or other barriers. We are headquartered in Montreal, Quebec with remote employees across the US and Canada. Paper is proud to have been named by GSV as one of the most transformational growth companies in digital learning.
Job SummaryWe are seeking a Director of Accounting Operations to lead and oversee our accounting operations, including billing, accounts payable, payroll, and accounting systems.
This key leadership role is responsible for ensuring the timely and accurate completion of monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial closes. Additionally, the Director will establish and implement robust accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance and operational efficiency.
Successful candidates should have strong organizational skills, a deep understanding of accounting principles, and a proactive approach to financial management.
- Oversee and supervise Paper’s Accounts Payable operation. Oversee the timely and accurate process of invoices.
- Oversee Paper’s billing function. Ensure billing and cash collections are timely.
- Review revenue contracts to ensure proper recording in accordance with ASC 606.
- Implement and maintain fixed asset policies and procedures.
- Review and perform account reconciliations and partner with Director, Financial Reporting to ensure close deadlines are met.
- Implement new accounting pronouncements.
- Oversee payroll and ensure compliance with all Canadian and US labor and tax regulations.
- Oversee Canadian sales tax return filings.
- Assist with cash flow forecasting and analysis.
- Develop and maintain SOP’s for all areas. Identify and implement improvements to policies, procedures, internal controls, and tools that realize greater operation efficiencies and enhanced customer service support.
- Build a highly effective team through training, development and mentoring.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field, CPA required
- 7-10 years of accounting experience, proficient in US GAAP
- Proficient with NetSuite
- Strong knowledge of Canadian tax law
- Fast learner with strong organization, analytical and decision-making skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency while delivering high-quality work products
- Strong communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively with others at all levels and functions across the Company
- Proven ability to collaborate with other functions to develop creative and innovative solutions within an entrepreneurial environment
- Possess leadership skills and the ability to work with a team
- Proven ability to meet challenges, goals and objectives with enthusiasm, drive, and initiative
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, handling multiple priorities
- Advanced skills in Excel
Paper offers an exciting, dynamic, inclusive work environment putting excellence at the center of everything we do. Our mission is woven into the fabric of our culture, challenging our team to build meaningful and creative solutions.
We thrive when we collaborate with each other, and use integrity and selflessness to align our business decisions with our mission. We approach every challenge with positivity, achieving the outcome we want regardless of what gets in the way. Our tenacity propels our hyper-growth, where trust is key and we all strive to make an impact every day.
We believe that diverse teams build better products. Paper does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender orientation, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations.
Nobody checks every box, but the Paper team is built by passionate and innovative people who share our mission for democratizing education. If you don’t think you meet all of the requirements above but are still interested in the job, please apply.
PS. Equity is our mission! We make sure to treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our job board - our amazing talent team will reach out! Our team isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone.