Senior Project Manager
Sonder is revolutionizing hospitality through innovative, tech-powered service and inspiring, thoughtfully designed accommodations combined into one seamlessly managed experience. Officially launched in 2014, Sonder is making a world of better stays open to all with a variety of accommodation options — from rooms to suites and apartments — found in 40+ cities spanning 10 countries and three continents. Sonder’s innovative app empowers guests by making self-service features and 24/7 on-the-ground support just a tap away. From simple self check-in to boutique bathroom amenities, we bring the best of a hotel without any of the formality.
Sonder engages with real estate developers on a wide variety of project types including new construction, renovations, and conversions primarily focused on multi-family and hospitality. As a Sr. Project Manager you will lead a team that project manages multi-family and hotel developments from prospecting of new deals to construction/renovation and FF&E fit-out to first guests. We are looking for candidates with experience in all phases of the process including property due diligence, design, planning, pre-construction, construction, openings and closeout. Experience with FF&E fit-out in hospitality or retail is ideal. In this role, you will be working cross-functionally with internal (real estate, design, legal, finance, etc.) and external stakeholders (landlords, architects, general contractors, vendors, etc.) to bring our physical spaces to life and ensure our projects are developed on-time, on-budget, and on-brand. This individual should thrive in a fast-paced and constantly shifting environment.
AT SONDER YOU WILL:
Roles and Responsibilities:
- The Senior Project Manager's day to day activities vary greatly, but their ultimate role is to enforce the lease that Sonder signs and deliver new projects on brand, on budget, and on schedule through the full life cycle of a project. The SPM is a valued member of the deal team that negotiates and underwrites Sonder leases and will maintain accountability for project delivery and enforcement of our lease. The Senior Project Manager will serve as the primary communicator with our Sonder building owners & partners.
- The Sr Project Manager (SPM) leads a regional team that is accountable for execution of new property openings and successful handoff to the city operations teams.
- The Senior Project Manager (SPM) manages direct reports (Project Managers) and their subordinate teams (Openings Coordinators and Openings Agents).
- Serve as a critical decision maker. Accountable for assisting the deal team, developing and tracking project schedules, budget development and cost tracking, risk management, and product delivery.
- Responsible for maintaining close contact with landlords and monitoring construction activity.
- Oversee a regional project management team that is responsible for development of hundreds of hotel and apartment units beginning with assisting the real estate team in prospecting to opening properties to Sonder guests. This is an exciting role that includes responsibility for all project management activities to ensure every project opens successfully.
- Conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Role reports to the Director of Project Management.
- 25% (3 trips per month) travel expectations.
- Full project life cycle ownership: successful project delivery will include full implementation from assisting in prospecting to opening one or several properties simultaneously.
- Report on project schedule tracking, budgets, and resourcing on a weekly basis to the Director of Project Management.
- Oversee and provide guidance on projects to your team (Project Manager, Openings Coordinator, and Openings Agent)
- Negotiate and support vendor contracts (FF&E suppliers, installers, and logistics companies) while building and maintaining relationships with vendor partners.
- Own timelines and budgets to launch units faster and reduce cash burn.
- Monitor and control projects through administrative direction of on-site onboarding teams to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Proactively investigate project risks and implement corrective measures.
- Procure supplies and materials to complete projects efficiently and within budget.
- Interpret and explain lease terms to your team.
- Ensure that correct Sonder procedures are followed.
- Creation and maintenance of a project schedule. Manage bi-weekly updates and develop solutions to risks/issues while effectively communicating consequences.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Developing budgets
- Creating and updating construction schedules
- Attention to detail
- Team / vendor management
- Written and verbal communication
- Team building
- Interpersonal skills
- Time efficiency
- Relationship building
- Familiarity with common Project Management tools and practices
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in architecture, construction, real estate or a related field preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in all phases of development from design/planning to construction project management/administration.
- Passionate about all phases of real estate development, project cost estimating, construction and project management with a focus on critical details. Previous work in the hospitality field required.
- Experience evaluating properties and using those findings to assist in landlord negotiations.
- Interpersonal skills to influence and spur change, facilitate and enhance performance within a cross - functional environment.
- Experience leading, motivating and managing various project and program team sizes, including internal and external resources, while holding team accountable for performance.
- Significant experience negotiating with and managing external vendors and contractors on time, cost, and quality.
- A willingness and enthusiasm to get your hands dirty when needed.
- Flexibility to transition from the polish of a negotiating table to the grit of a construction site.
We also have great benefits to make your life easier so you can focus on what you’re best at:
Generous stock plan
Medical, dental and vision insurance (where applicable)
Annual free credits and discounts to stay in Sonders
A company with a huge vision, a dynamic work environment, and a team of smart, ambitious and fun to work-with colleagues!
Workplace flexibility (for remote-specified positions only) #ABetterWaytoWork
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status or other protected classes.