Poppy & Peonies | Sr. Handbag Designer (US)
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
PSA: Bloom is a full-service workplace design consultancy representing Sr. Handbag Designer on their search for an Executive Assistant to join their team. As Talent Advisors, we will be the liaison between Poppy & Peonies and yourself during this recruitment process. We do not use fancy tech to search through resumes at Bloom; every resume is reviewed by a human to ensure that we attain a consistent and equitable interview process. You will directly join the team at Poppy & Peonies if you are selected as the successful candidate. We look forward to receiving your application!
_ _ _ _
Hi, I’m Natalie Dusome, Founder and CEO of Poppy & Peonies, a fun and energetic brand that believes styles and function should co-exist. We’re passionate about creating practical pieces that help make life a little easier and lighten the load, literally.
Building Poppy & Peonies has been a wild adventure. The journey began when my daughter Poppy was born and my accessories no longer worked with my new life as a mom, I needed bags with pockets and organization that looked cool and had functionality. I couldn’t find it, so I decided to create it, and in 2015 Poppy & Peonies was born.
We’ve come a long way in five years – from filling orders in my basement to appearing on Dragons’ Den, and now, expanding into new product categories and collaborating with some exciting influencers and brands. I’d be lying if I said it’s been nothing but smooth sailing, but thanks to our incredible community, we’ve never felt more loved and supported!
We believe in our responsibility to care for our environment and we are passionate about preserving the health and welfare of our planet, and the animals that live on it. All of our bags are made from high-quality vegan leather, and our entire product line is vegan, cruelty-free, and PETA-approved. We ship our products plastic-free and we use a combination of recycled, compostable, and biodegradable materials to mitigate shipping waste, and we are constantly looking for new ways to make our products and supply chain more sustainable to reduce our carbon footprint.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Sr. Handbag Designer to bring new energy and ideas to our design team. This is a pinch me moment, because this is the first time we’re hiring for this role. Up until now, I’ve been doing all the designing, and I cannot wait to collaborate with someone to come up with new innovative designs for the future of Poppy & Peonies. The Sr. Handbag Designer will be responsible for taking Poppy & Peonies visions, and bringing it to life through concept and collection design. This role reports directly into me (Nat) and will act as a mentor to the Handbag Designer.
- Create innovative handbag designs that align with Poppy & Peonies brand's vision boards and market trends that our customers love.
- Oversee the creation of prototypes and samples, working closely with partners to ensure design intent is maintained during manufacturing.
- Translate design into spec and cads for manufacturing partners.
- Choose appropriate materials, prints, fabrics, and hardware to ensure the functionality and durability of each design, while maintaining the desired look and feel.
- Present design concepts, prototypes and final designs to the Design Team.
- Ensure that the final products meet design specifications and quality standards, making necessary revisions to prototypes at each design stage as needed.
- Work collaboratively with the Handbag Designer and cross-functional teams, including the operations, supply chain and marketing to bring designs to market successfully.
- Stay up-to-date with fashion trends, competitor analysis, and consumer feedback to inform design decisions and maintain a competitive edge.
- Work within budget constraints to design cost-effective products without compromising on quality and style.
- Incorporate sustainable practices and materials into designs, reflecting Poppy and Peonies' commitment to environmental responsibility.
- Manage design calendar and deadlines.
- You are creative and have the ability to generate unique and innovative design ideas that stand out in the competitive fashion market.
- You have a strong understanding of current fashion trends, materials, and styles to create designs that are relevant and appealing to the target audience.
- You have an awareness of market demands and consumer preferences, as well as the ability to adapt designs to meet both aesthetic and functional requirements.
- You have a genuine passion for fashion and design, along with a curiosity to stay updated on industry trends and innovations.
- You have a growth mindset, do not give up easily and preserver during challenging times.
- Above all, you are passionate about working for a growing female owned business and are inspired by Poppy & Peonies mission.
- 7-10 years experience as a Handbag Designer in the fashion industry
- Bachelor's degree in Fashion Design or a related field
- Strong sketching and Adobe Creative Suite skills
- Knowledge of materials, production processes, and quality control
- Trend forecasting and market research abilities
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Attention to detail and a passion for innovation and creativity
- We are a remote first company and our employees can work from anywhere in Canada or US.
- The successful candidate will be required to travel within Canada for periodic team brainstorming and building sessions.
Applications are due by 4pm ET on Friday, February 9, 2024.
Interviewing at Poppy & Peonies includes:
1. A Phone screen with Erica Peres, Bloom (30 mins)
2. Video interview with with Natalie Dusome (60 minutes)
4. Take home design challenge
5. Reference checks
Like Bloom, Poppy & Peonies is committed to a fair and equitable hiring process for all candidates. To ensure that each candidate’s journey is consistent and the selection process is unbiased, Hiring Managers will not respond to any personal messages regarding this role or other opportunities. To apply, please submit your application via Bloom.
How we Hire
Poppy & Peonies is committed to a fair and equitable hiring process for all candidates. To ensure that each candidate’s journey is consistent and the selection process is unbiased, the team at Poppy & Peonies will not be responding to any personal messages regarding this role or other opportunities.
Poppy & Peonies is a proud equal opportunity workplace that is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We’re looking for motivated and compassionate people who can execute from the ground up and support the work that Poppy & Peonies believes in.
Poppy & Peonies is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Should you require any accommodation, please inform us and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, requests for information in accessible alternative formats or to report any accessibility problems, please share in your application or email firstname.lastname@example.org.