Software Engineer, Back End
We’re building the next generation of data science tools for people that love data science. We work with some of the world’s largest organizations to help them succeed in analyzing their data and scaling their data science workloads. You will be part of the team that develops the next generation of data science applications and visualizations.
Downloaded 10 million times per month, Dash & Plotly are how AI, ML, and data science in Python are delivered to business users. We’re a fun, growing, highly collaborative, creative team of people that love our craft. We care about diversity, equity, and helping each other succeed. We value communication, curiosity, kindness, passion, and a healthy, work-life balance. We are avid readers, hackers, architects, and data scientists. If engineering excites you, and you think Plotly is the place for you, we’d love to chat further.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with multiple teams working on important customer features and our own significant internal development projects
- Be involved in all aspects of software development, working to create and maintain the most reliable, secure, performant, and high-throughput service for our customers by using cutting-edge cloud technology (this can range from setting high-level technical direction down to implementation)
- Develop a flexible and well-structured back-end architecture
- Work with product managers, designers and developers to understand user interactions and to develop modern, intuitive user interfaces for our products
- Work in a team environment with shared code; disciplined use of source code control and process documentation
- Contribute to team and organizational improvements in process and infrastructure
Technologies you’ll be working with
- Kafka / Event Streaming
- A minimum of 2 years of professional software development experience
- Knowledge of Typescript and GraphQL
- The ability to guide the reliability and growth of our web applications by overseeing the performance, monitoring, and security direction of the product
- Experience driving excellence for web development best practices, standards, guidelines, documentation, training, and code quality
- The ability to translate business concerns into technical implementations
- The ability to communicate trade-offs in approaches to security, speed to ship, and performance
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to follow and produce documentation instructions
- Ability to debug, troubleshoot, and seek answers autonomously before asking colleagues for help
- Able to mentor and supervise junior and intermediate colleagues
- Collaborative within the team and across the whole company
- Self-starter, you enjoy moving at a fast pace, shipping software that improves the user experience and constantly improving your work with little supervision
- Understanding of API design including REST principles
- Experience in the deployment of production-quality, scalable software
What We Can Offer You
- A way to put your skills to use enabling people around the world to better understand their data and make better decisions
- Knowledge-sharing with smart, motivated colleagues and folks working at the most sophisticated companies in the world
- Flexible schedule and generous PTO
- Medical, dental, vision, and more benefits
- Company stock options
- Parental leave policy
- Learning and development program
- Community involvement
- Home office set up fund
As a company with roots in the open-source community, Plotly introduced web-based data visualization to Python. Today, the company offers Dash Enterprise, which provides the best software tools and platform to enable every enterprise in the world to build and scale data applications quickly and easily.
At Plotly, you'll work alongside a diverse team of first-class scientists, engineers, developers and builders that challenge the status quo and set the bar high. We encourage each member of our team to explore and expand their skill sets on a continuous basis, to approach every problem with curiosity and an open-mind. Together, we make it possible for people everywhere to share data, facts and information.
Plotly is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. If you require any accommodations, please let us know in advance.
So yeah, we work hard. We have many puzzles to solve and we are having fun doing it.
We also have incredible customers and a strong, supportive community that we want to stay connected to.
We’re looking forward to getting to know you!
Something looks off?