Technical Product Manager
As a Product Manager, you will be part of the team that delivers the next generation of Dash Open Source and Dash Enterprise products. Dash enables data scientists to quickly and easily build and deploy highly functional, production-grade data apps in Python.
Our products include Python libraries for building exceptional interactive web applications and data visualizations, low-code development tools and IDEs to aid the software development process, data connectivity features to aid the data science and data pipeline process, and an application deployment platform to easily bring applications into production in enterprise environments.
We aim to radically simplify the software development process, rethinking the way web applications are developed and deployed. Our customers are extraordinary data scientists in large companies with stringent data access and enterprise IT requirements. Typically, building enterprise-grade internal tooling would take our customers months to years. With Dash Enterprise, data scientists can build and deploy apps in hours to days.
As a Product Manager, you will contribute to the full product development lifecycle from market research, ideation, prototyping, developing product specs, collaborating with engineers, and collecting customer & sales feedback.
Our product suite is expansive. It includes Python APIs, web development tools, IDEs, application deployment, enterprise IT integrations, data integrations, analytics capabilities, and more. As a Product Manager, you will have the opportunity to develop features across the product stack but will likely specialize in one or more areas based on your prior experience and interest.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ideation - Develop new ideas for product features in the near and long term
- Pitch Development - Develop ideas into well-defined product specifications (“pitches”) that can be delivered to an engineering team
- Product Management - Monitor and facilitate the development process from engineering, QA, and technical writing to ensure the delivery of a high quality product
- Incorporate feedback from engineering, marketing, sales, customer success, customers, user data, and the broader market
Technologies you’ll be working with
As a Product Manager, you will work with the same products and technologies that are used by our customers including
- Dash Open Source Python Library
- Dash Enterprise Platform
- Python IDEs (PyCharm, Jupyter)
- Python Data Ecosystem (e.g. Pandas, Numpy, Scikit-Learn)
- Data Warehouses like Redshift, Snowflake, Databricks
Product development will use technologies like
- Confluence (writing and collaborating on pitches)
- Whimsical / Figma (wireframes)
- Zendesk (reading customer support tickets)
- GitHub (tracking tickets)
- Slack (internal communication)
- Discourse (community forum)
- Technical background. Our products are for developers, data scientists, and system admins. You’ll need deep technical understanding and experience to inform the next generation of these products.
- Excellent writing skills. We’re strong believers in writing as a tool to think clearly and rigorously. We believe in tools like the Amazon 6-Pager or Basecamp’s “Pitches”
- Passion for world-class developer & data science products that is informed from first-hand experience in software development, data science, business intelligence, data visualization or enterprise IT.
- Creative & rigorous problem solving to think of new product ideas and solve customer problems through new product features. Ability to zoom out and think holistically of the entire product experience while also drilling in and sweating the details.
- Business and marketing acumen to inform how product development can drive revenue growth
Prior technical experience to inform product development in one or more areas
- Data science / AI / ML / technical computing in Python
- Data visualization
- Data Engineering
- API / software library development
- Open Source Software
- Enterprise IT / Sys Admin
- Identity Providers / Authentication / Authorization
- Enterprise internal tools
- Creative software
- Business Intelligence / Dashboards
- Low-code development tools
- Website/Web app development
- We will consider candidates with strong experience in the areas above even if they do not have any prior experience in PM’ing.
What We Can Offer You
- A way to put your skills to use enabling people around the world to better understand their data and make better decisions
- Knowledge-sharing with smart, motivated colleagues and folks working at the most sophisticated companies in the world
- Flexible schedule and generous PTO
- A promote-from-within philosophy
- Medical, dental, vision, and more benefits
- Company stock options
- Parental leave policy
- Learning and development program
- Community involvement
- Home office set up fund
As a company with roots in the open-source community, Plotly introduced web-based data visualization to Python. Today, the company offers Dash Enterprise, which provides the best software tools and platform to enable every enterprise in the world to build and scale data applications quickly and easily.
At Plotly, you'll work alongside a diverse team of first-class scientists, engineers, developers and builders that challenge the status quo and set the bar high. We encourage each member of our team to explore and expand their skill sets on a continuous basis, to approach every problem with curiosity and an open-mind. Together, we make it possible for people everywhere to share data, facts and information.
Plotly is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. If you require any accommodations, please let us know in advance.
So yeah, we work hard. We have many puzzles to solve and we are having fun doing it.
We also have incredible customers and a strong, supportive community that we want to stay connected to.
We’re looking forward to getting to know you!
Something looks off?